How come there is a daily stock limit?

I apologize if this topic has already been talked about. How come there is a limit on how much stock you can buy in a day. I think its preposterous that there is a daily limit, its really unfair to players who stalk the stock market looking to rush in and get stocks that just released. It also kills a lot of the fun and business interaction that comes with it. For example the last round when Firey released stock i put all my money into buying it plus i got a 70 million loan from PB to buy more. By having this limit you’re killing the interaction,exclusivity and entrepreneurship that comes with getting stocks.

Little side note: You guys will be seeing Jobson stock soon :wink:

Hey Jobsons … Thanks for your note …

The reason we have the limits is to reduce the potential for stock manipulation.

When markets have lower liquidity (meaning there are not that many trades happening), then it is very easy for one person to manipulate stock price.

Plus, if we allow one player to buy up all the stock in an issue, it’s not so much fun for other players who may not get a chance to experience buying and selling on the stock market.

Players may also prefer that their stock be owned by a variety of other players, too.

As the game grows and liquidity increase to hundreds of trades each day, we will be able to consider modifying the limits.

Not necessarily related but in this area…
I had a vision that the game would evolve from early stages being all about establishing your business model in making or selling or both until you were cruising, to being all about finance in the later stages. For some reason it’s still not happening.
My calendar quote of the day today “There is no great fun, satisfaction or joy derived from doing something that is easy” (John Wooden)
So, early on it’s hard work to establish businesses and get enough bank behind you to pay the bills and keep up with your competitors. But like in real business, you set up a structure, resource it correctly, back away and let it run with the management you put in. This game does the first bit well but doesn’t really allow the rest, although setting production runs to a full day, big retail stocks it could be there easily.

The tougher retail conditions this round make you work harder to sell at both retail and wholesale sides, but it doesn’t help with the game degenerating into too hard to do the same old things and player dropping off. Solution - keep the total retail demand the same and keep the same calculation for allocating sales, but reduce all costs across the board by 10. Start a company 100k, produce cheap 500g, produce top quality 2k, max sell for top quality 10k. That way we don’t have the situation where only 3 cars a day get sold in a country across all competitors, because the daily sales calculator cut off all to whole numbers. Call it a different product if you like… Let the markets grow generously and keep growing, allowing players to make solid profits - it’s a game and people want to feel good…

Now to the next bit. Clearly if we had a variety of products there would be some interest in what path you take to prosperity, but in the end if it’s still make/sell, buy/sell, the novelty will also wear off. So the focus of the player / management should shift to finance so that the end game is who has accumulated the biggest holdings of competitor companies. Make this the only way to get into the billions of net worth and the measure of success in the game.

The share-market is still not quite there. I think the daily restriction is good and the combination of issues into the one code was necessary.
The listing is still not sorting alphabetically - I’m not sure what the sort is.
I would still like to see offers to buy as well as offers to sell
To fix the lack of liquidity, how about making day 30 or 50 anniversary of creating a holding company listing day. Automatic listing of 200,000 shares at whatever your current equity level is - no fees. (Total equity / 2 million shares) You can do subsequent offers of more stock to the market but that would come out of the 1.8 million shares you retain and you can never issue more than 999,000 shares.
To encourage competition to become the games biggest shareholder, leader board of same with drop down detail of company owned, number and value of shares.

There’s more detail I’m sure but you’ll get my general thinking I hope.

2 Likes

Hey Firey …

So, early on it’s hard work to establish businesses and get enough bank behind you to pay the bills and keep up with your competitors. But like in real business, you set up a structure, resource it correctly, back away and let it run with the management you put in. This game does the first bit well but doesn’t really allow the rest, although setting production runs to a full day, big retail stocks it could be there easily.

Yes, you are spot on. This needs to be a focus area for us once we finish adding some of the current ugprades (which include two new business types).

The tougher retail conditions this round make you work harder to sell at both retail and wholesale sides, but it doesn’t help with the game degenerating into too hard to do the same old things and player dropping off. Solution - keep the total retail demand the same and keep the same calculation for allocating sales, but reduce all costs across the board by 10. Start a company 100k, produce cheap 500g, produce top quality 2k, max sell for top quality 10k. That way we don’t have the situation where only 3 cars a day get sold in a country across all competitors, because the daily sales calculator cut off all to whole numbers. Call it a different product if you like… Let the markets grow generously and keep growing, allowing players to make solid profits - it’s a game and people want to feel good…

We agree that we are getting closer to optimum balance but are not there yet. More work to be done here. Balance is really tough.

Now to the next bit. Clearly if we had a variety of products there would be some interest in what path you take to prosperity, but in the end if it’s still make/sell, buy/sell, the novelty will also wear off. So the focus of the player / management should shift to finance so that the end game is who has accumulated the biggest holdings of competitor companies. Make this the only way to get into the billions of net worth and the measure of success in the game.

Agree that we don’t want the gameplay to be repetitive grinding.

Not sure I understand what you mean by, "the end game is who has accumulated the biggest holdings of competitor companies."

The share-market is still not quite there. I think the daily restriction is good and the combination of issues into the one code was necessary.
The listing is still not sorting alphabetically - I’m not sure what the sort is.
I would still like to see offers to buy as well as offers to sell
To fix the lack of liquidity, how about making day 30 or 50 anniversary of creating a holding company listing day. Automatic listing of 200,000 shares at whatever your current equity level is - no fees. (Total equity / 2 million shares) You can do subsequent offers of more stock to the market but that would come out of the 1.8 million shares you retain and you can never issue more than 999,000 shares.
To encourage competition to become the games biggest shareholder, leader board of same with drop down detail of company owned, number and value of shares.

Yes, more work needed on shares too, but we are going to focus on some other upgrades and gameplay improvements first. I think when there are more players, the stocks will be better automatically … but yes, improvements will be made later.

As always, thanks for your helpful insights! Let me know about the question above.

What I’m saying is that the thinking behind the game coding should be that you start out as all about operating businesses to get your base economy but by mid round your total login time should be maybe 60% on operating business and 40% on where to invest your reserves most wisely. Towards the end of the game you would spend 20% of your login time on the operating business and 80% on tweaking your portfolio of investments.

Making the mail easier to maintain, the markets more set and forget and daily runs is part of the getting down to 20%. Reducing the maximum earnings potential from an operating business by a factor of 10 would achieve the set and forget markets and also force players to look to investing to grow their income base.

*Not noted above but maybe an improvement would be to enforce bond interest and redemption.

If the most I could achieve in operating company gameplay was 100m total net worth, but with careful investing I could increase that to 500m, then the focus of the game would shift to that. Of course the reports and ranking boards would have to reflect the shift in focus.

1 Like

Do you have any idea around when we would be seeing these two new business types Mathew?

FIREY … when you say …

Reducing the maximum earnings potential from an operating business by a factor of 10

Do you mean that running a single Operating Business is providing too much profit? Or that running Operating Businesses in general (such as our max of 10) is providing too much profit?

force players to look to investing to grow their income base.

By INVESTING do you mean by buying stocks and bonds of other companies?

JOBSONS: I hope May and June but don’t know for sure.

Awesome was just curious, honestly surprised we got a relative answer on that.

1 Like

We always answer questions that we can answer.

An automatic pay of dividends would be nice…then buying stocks that are costly are worth to buy…

Atm you are still taking a risk…( what seems normal in stock marketing), but the one who does not pay dividends, does not get punished…

1 Like